P.J. is an experienced trial criminal defense lawyer and an aggressive litigator. His cases involve a wide variety of criminal matters including all types of fraud, drug crimes, computer or internet crimes, violent crimes, driving while intoxicated crimes and many more. P.J. aggressively defends clients who are being investigated, have been accused, or have been charged with violating federal, state, or municipal laws. His experience in both federal and state court is invaluable in helping clients make informed decisions as they try to resolve their legal issues.
As a former Special Assistant United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri in the Kansas City Office and as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney in the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office he handled major felony offenses. He left public service in 2004 and now specializes in the defense of criminal cases.
P.J. served as the Criminal Justice Act (CJA) Panel Representative for the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri. He was appointed to that position in 2007 by the Honorable Fernando J. Gaitan, Jr., Chief District Judge for the Western District of Missouri and was again nominated and reconfirmed to this position by the Honorable David Gregory Kays who currently serves as the Chief District Judge in the Western District of Missouri.
P.J. is very active in the community and has proudly served as a Big Brother in the Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Kansas City Program for over 10 years. He served on the Board of Directors of the Bishop Sullivan Center for over 6 years. He is also active with the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity at Rockhurst University.
SIGNIFICANT CASES AND RESULTS
- Local Mortgage Broker charged in Federal Court in the Western District of Missouri with Wire Fraud and Money Laundering with a loss amount in excess of $2.5 million Received Probation.
- Kansas City Police Officer charged in Federal Court in the Western District of Missouri with Theft of Government Funds by Fraud or Deceit Received Probation.
- Military Student charged with Forcible Rape Received Probation, no conviction, and no sex offender registration after depositions and PJ’s investigation.
- Kansas City man charged in Federal Court in the Western District of Missouri with Aiding and Abetting the Disposal of Hazardous Waste Without a Permit Received Probation.
- Kansas City Woman Indicted in Federal Court in the Western District of Missouri for Possession with Intent to Distribute a Controlled Substance (900 plus Ecstasy Pills) Received Probation.
- Federal Employee charged in Federal Court with using computer at work to promote prostitution Received Probation.
- Texas native charged in Lafayette County with Possession with Intent to Distribute 600 plus pounds of Marijuana Received 120 Day Sentence and Probation.
- Independence Police Officer Indicted in Federal Court in the Western District of Missouri for Distribution of Anabolic Steroids Received Probation.
- Two teenage residents of Wichita, Kansas charged with Possession of Marijuana and Drug Paraphernalia in Johnson County Kansas. Both clients had their Charges Dismissed before the preliminary hearing based on PJ’s legal research of probable cause for car stop.
- Wichita resident charged with aiding and Abetting a Felon in Possession of a Firearm in Federal Court in the District of Kansas-Wichita Division. The charge was a class C felony up to 10 years in the Bureau of Prisons. After negotiation and argument at sentencing, client Received Probation.
- Grandview businessman charged with Interstate Transportation of Stolen Property and Aiding and Abetting Others in the interstate transportation of stolen property in the District of Kansas, Kansas City Division. After negotiation and agreement the defendant pled to a reduced charge of misprision of a felony and received an 8 month split sentence. He served four month in prison and 4 Months on House Arrest.
- Columbia businessman charged with Bank Fraud (approx. three million dollars) in the Western District of Missouri, Jefferson City. Client faced a 78-97 month sentence after the presentence report was completed. Based on our objections to the presentence report, a sentencing memorandum and arguments at the sentencing hearing our client Received 27 Months and was ordered to pay restitution.
- Kansas City Businessman Investigated for Income Tax Fraud by the FBI and the Internal Revenue Service. Prior to being charged PJ negotiated a waiver of indictment in Federal Court in the Western District of Missouri. After a negotiated plea, client pled guilty to tax fraud and Received 6 Months of Home Detention and Probation.
- Platte County man charged with First Degree Statutory Sodomy and Deviant Sexual Intercourse in Platte County. After PJ’s investigation and negotiation client pled guilty to the amended charge of Child Endangerment and Received Probation.
- Ray County resident investigated for Embezzling or Stealing from a Government Agency. Prior to being charged PJ negotiated a waiver of indictment. Upon a plea to theft or bribery concerning programs receiving federal funds, client was facing between 18-24 months after the presentence investigative report was complete. After PJ’s arguments at the sentencing hearing our client Received a Downward Variance to 4 Months followed by supervised release and had to pay restitution.
- North Carolina resident charged in Federal Court in the Western District of Missouri with Class A Felony Conspiracy to Distribute Cocaine and Marijuana facing 10 years to life. After PJ’s investigation and negation, client pled to reduced charge of conspiracy to distribute marijuana only and client Received Probation.
- Olathe resident indicted for Conspiracy to Defraud the Food and Drug Administration, Mail Fraud and Falsifying Records in Federal Court in the District of Kansas, Topeka Division. After a negotiated plea agreement client faced a guideline sentence between 18-24 months. After PJ’s motion for downward variance and arguments at sentencing our client Received One Year Probation and had to pay restitution.
- Johnson County businessman indicted for Conspiracy to Distribute Oxycontin and Oxycodone in Federal Court in the Western District of Missouri. After a negotiated plea agreement client faced a guideline sentence between 46-57 months. After PJ’s objections to the presentence investigative report, sentencing memorandum and arguments at sentencing our client Received One Year and One Day Sentence and had to pay restitution.
- Warrensburg resident investigated for Social Security Disability Benefits Fraud. Prior to being charged we negotiated a waiver of indictment. Upon a plea to theft of government money, client was facing between 21-27 months after PSI report was complete. After PJ’s objections to the PSI, sentencing memorandum and arguments client Received a Six Month Sentence, followed by a term of supervised release and had to pay restitution.
PRIOR WORK EXPERIENCE
Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Western District of Missouri
Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office
HONORS & AWARDS
National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
CJA Panel Attorney for the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri
Kansas City Magazine “Super Lawyers” Rising Stars 2009-2014
On the Board of Directors for the Bishop Sullivan Center
Active with the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Kansas City since 2003